Peter J. Schoenster wrote:

> Well it started from the above where some guy said this magic
> could track users. I assumed the cookies and if it's tracking users
> it uses a session id in the url or a cookie, I know of no other way
> and would really appreciate the education.
>

>>Tom Rogers wrote:
>>

>>- it is data specific to the total application itself.
>>

> But how does it carry from one click to the next?

I don't believe the original poster you quote really had/has
a firm grasp on what it actually does.

The tried and true example is a hit counter.  No matter who hits a page,
if that page increases an application variable called "counter" for
example, the counter keeps going up.

You hit it and it has a value of 1.
Then I hit the page and it has a value of 2.
The bob hits it and it has a value of 3.

And so on.

There's no messaging from one session to another, though I don't doubt
you could architect some code to operate like that.  It's like a
'session' state that's not specific to any one user - a 'commons' area,
if you like.

Does that help?

Also, a second draft of this info, along with a bit of code example in
PHP, is in a PDF at

http://demo.logicreate.com/index.php/filemgt/main/event=view/pkey=6/phpfaq.pdf