Isn't this something to do with shared memory? I haven't played with shared
memory before, but this sounds like it might work.

Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Hallstrom [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2002 8:37 AM
To: Peter J. Schoenster
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP] Re: The ASP "application" object in PHP?

Not that I'm an ASP expert, but I asked someone about this once and was
told that the application object is really just a session for that section
of the website.

In other words you configure IIS so that say "/foobar" is an application.
Then in /foobar/global.asa you do some stuff that sets up this application
object.  Now anyone who accesses /foobar has access to that object.  So
using this you could keep track of how many people are on the site ,etc...

While it's magic in ASP land, it is easily done with a bit of work in
PHP..