From: Erik Price [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 5:58 PM
To: Lars Torben Wilson
Cc: Narvaez, Teresa; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] NULL Apache environment variables

On Monday, February 18, 2002, at 05:44  PM, Lars Torben Wilson wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 08:56, Narvaez, Teresa wrote:
>> Hello,
>>      I'm running PHP version 4.1.1.  When I invoke this function, <?php
>> phpinfo()?>, all variables are set.  However, when I try to retrieve a
>> value
>> of a certain variable like this:
>>
>>       <?php echo $HTTP_USER_AGENT; ?>
>>
>> It returns NULL.  Is there a missing configuration on apache or php?
>
> As of PHP 4.1.0, register_globals is off by default since globals are so
> icky. Try $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'].
>
> This should probably be made more obvious in the docs.

Hm?  I didn't think that this was the case -- I thought that although
there is a long-term move to making 'register_globals = off' default,
register_globals is still default to be 'on'.  I think that this is
described in the 4.1.0 release announcement.

http://www.php.net/release_4_1_0.php

In the 4.1.1 release announcement, it doesn't say that anything about
this has changed.  I'm not trying to contradict you Torben, but if this
is true then it is not documented in the "news" at the web site.

Please correct me.
- Erik

----

Erik Price