>From the manual (http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.str-replace.php
<http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.str-replace.php> ) "In PHP 4.0.5 and
later, every parameter to str_replace() can be an array. "

I tried a test case (php 4.0.0) and found that if I passed an array in as
the subject the search and replace was performed on the string "array".

Tim Ward
Internet chess www.chessish.com <http://www.chessish.com>

        ----------
        From:  Michael Crowl [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent:  25 February 2002 22:01
        To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject:  str_replace and associative arrays

        I haven't been able to find any leads on this in the archives, nor
in the
        documentation, so here goes.

        When feeding an associative array to str_replace as the subject,
does it
        still return an associative array?

        My instance:

        extract(str_replace(",","",$result_row));

        After pulling an associative array using mysql_fetch_array(), I can
feed
        it to extract() by itself and it works as predicted and documented.

        However, if I do the above, where I want to make sure that the text
fields
        (from the db) that I'm using have the commas stripped out of them,
        extract() chokes with a "Warning: Bad datatype for extract()".

        I'm sure there are no commas in the key names, so those shouldn't be
        altered.  My only assumption is that str_replace returns array
        results without keys, even though it should take and return mixed
        subjects, correct?

        I may just be missing something obvious here, so have pity on a poor
soul.
        You've all been there.  (And one of the problems may be that I'm
working
        off of PHP 4.0.3...)

        $leepless_in_seattle(me);