I am trying to sort out several technologies and how they fit together. The
basic problem I want to solve is to be able to use BrowserHawk, a JavaBean
by CyScape, from a PHP script. In researching how to do this (and there are
several relevant articles written) I have come across several different
options and do not know how to weigh the pros and cons to come with the
right combination of configurations. I am running Apache Server 1.3.23, PHP
4.1.1, and Java 2 SDK 1.4.0 on a RedHat 7.0 system.

1. There appear to be two choices of configuring Java with PHP: (a) rebuild
PHP with Java support (./configure --with-java ...) and (b) integrate PHP
into a servlet environment.

2. Apparently (see http://www.intechra.net/bh/install.html) in order to
accomplish 1.(a) I must use the dynamic loading method (--with-apxs) to
build PHP, which means I must also rebuild Apache
(./configure --enable-module=so --enable-module=SHARED_CORE)
Question: why? If I am rebulding PHP with Java support then why does Apache
care?

3. What exactly does 1.(b) mean? How does one integrate PHP into a servlet
environment, and how does this affect the Apache configuration? Sure, Apache
will spawn a servlet to execute a php script, and another servlet (a JVM) to
execute the BrowserHawk Java Bean.. but is this better? Is it hard to
configure the system like this?

4. I have also run across an article advocating installing PHP as an Apache
DSO, a dynamically loadable module. wait a second.... I thought PHP already
was by default a dynamically loadable module to Apache! This is very fuzzy
to me.

Any advice on sorting this out for this web technology newbie would be
appreciated. For example, is there one preferred configuration (dare I say..
a standard?) for getting PHP, Java, and Apache working together?

TIA,

Rich