tested the $HTTP_SESSION_VARS prior to sending, set just fine.  changed the next
page to php and tested for the session var...  nothing.

[in login.php]
<?
session_start();
# database check in here
if(match){
        $HTTP_SESSION_VARS["UserID_session"]=$txtUserID; #from form field for user
        $HTTP_SESSION_VARS["UserNum_session"]=$databaseresult; # from database result
for user number
        header("Location: successlogin.php"); # or .htm - changed this to test if var
was being passed
        exit;
}else{
        header("Location: wrongpassword.htm");
        exit;
}
?>

[in successlogin.php]
<?
echo $HTTP_SESSION_VARS["SellerID_session"];
?>

if I check session_id() - it is the same in both pages.  Variables just aren't
getting stored/retrieved.

ideas?

as an aside, how do you destroy/start a new session with new session id?  or do
you just destroy the variables then use the same session id for the new session?

Dave