Erik Price wrote:

> What's the difference between this and the serialize() function?
>
> Erik

It solves a different problem to serialize(). serialize can take pretty
much any PHP object / array / data structure and convert it into a
string, but the resulting string will still need addslashes() applied to
store it in a database and htmlspecialchars() for display in a hidden
form field etc. The encode() function takes a PHP string and converts it
into a "safe" string which can be put straight in a database / hidden
form field / URL variable without needing any further processing - it
can then be decoded at a later date.

In fact, the encode() and decode() functions would probably complement
serialize() very well :)