On Monday, March 4, 2002, at 07:22  PM, DL Neil wrote:

> The choice comes down to how you are generating the time data prior to
> its storage in the db, and how you plan to use it afterwards. If you are
> going to be doing lots of temporal processing in PHP, then UNIX
> timestamp is the way to go. If it is purely a 'label' then stick with
> that format - even storing a string in MySQL that it doesn't realise is
> a date! Both PHP and MySQL have a wide range of time/date functions to
> support such activities.

Thanks David, I think I'm going to avoid potential problems with
TIMESTAMP columns' unique features by just storing a PHP mktime() value
into a VARCHAR(15) column (advice from someone on this list, I can't
remember who).  While it will mostly be a label, and I could take a
shortcut, the advantage is that I can always reformat the Unix timestamp
(mktime()) for that later, and I plan to do searches based on date at
times.

Erik

----

Erik Price