I've often wondered the same thing... which is why I've never moved to
OOP

So I'm patiently waiting for a reply to this message as well :)

-----Original Message-----
From: mojo jojo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 12:22 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP] OOP .. I just don't get it.

Hi

I've been using php for a while now but I have not got my head around
OOP
(classes).

Why bother using them? I've read thru a few tutorials on using classes
and
the examples given are quite simple. This is probably the problem - I
just
can't see the benefit of using this style of programming.

Here is what I'm getting  at.

------------USING A CLASS-----------------
class Table {

    var $rows;
    var $columns;

    function MakeTable() {

        draw a table with $this->columns as the number of columns
        and $this->rows as the number of rows

$mytable = new Table;
$mytable->rows = 5;
$mytable->columns = 10;
$mytable->MakeTable();

---------------USING A NORMAL FUNCTION-----

function MakeTable($rows,$columns) {

    make a table with $rows as the number of rows
    and $columns as the number of columns

}

$rows = 5;
$columns = 10;
MakeTable($rows,$columns);

Using a class doesn't appear to give me any benefits - in fact the code
is
longer.

I know that you can spawn more instances of the same class which sounds
useful, however I can also run my function as many times as I like using
different variables.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

Mojo