I'm not understanding completely, but could this have something to do with
it?
[quote]
error_reporting() has no effect if you have defined your own error handler
with set_error_handler()

[Editor's Note: This is not quite accurate.

E_ERROR, E_PARSE, E_CORE_ERROR, E_CORE_WARNING, E_COMPILE_ERROR and
E_COMPILE_WARNING error levels will be handled as per the error_reporting
settings.

All other levels of errors will be passed to the custom error handler
defined by set_error_handler().

Zeev Suraski suggests that a simple way to use the defined levels of error
reporting with your custom error handlers is to add the following line to
the top of your error handling function:

if (!($type & error_reporting())) return;

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]]
[/quote]
Read:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.error-reporting.php