is there any limitation with header function?im wondering why it not realy
working for me. it really gives me a headache.
i've done exactly what you've told us but  it does'nt work. i remove the
comment from the left.php or right.php and retain the index.ph as-is, but
still it doesnt jump out the frames.

 ***************** index.php ******************

 <?php
#   This has no effect.
 #   header('Window-target: _top');
 ?>

 <frameset COLS="120,*">
 <FRAME SRC="left.php" name="menu" scrolling="no">
 <frame src="right.php" name="content">
 </frameset>

***************** left.php ******************
 <?php
 #   Turning this on will jump this page out of the frames.
 header('Window-target: _top');
?>

 ***************** right.php ******************

 <?php
 #   Turning this on will jump this page out of the frames.
 header('Window-target: _top');
 ?>

 <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Right</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>
 Hi there. This is the main content page in the right frame.
</BODY></HTML>

 <?php
 #  This has no effect.
 #  header('Window-target: _top');
 ?>

 <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Right 2</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>
 Hi there. This is the secondary content page in the right frame.
 </BODY></HTML>