I doubt msSQL differs from MySQL --

$link = mssql_connect( $host, $user, $pass ) or die( "Can't connect to the
DB!" );
mssql_select_db( $dbname, $link ) or die( "Can't select database" );

$query = "SELECT * FROM members WHERE user='$user' AND pass='$pass';";
$result = mssql_query( $query, $link );
if(!mssql_num_rows( $result )){
    die( "Username/Password no good" );
}
else{
    die( "Everything is okay!" );
}

like i said, i think all the mysql functions in php have a mssql equiv. --
like mssql_num_rows().

-Joe