I think PHP's uniqid() will suit your purposes.  Look in the Miscellaneous
Functions section of the manual.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ashley M. Kirchner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 11:38 AM
To: PHP-General List
Subject: [PHP] Maillist

    I need to send out several hundred, to several thousand emails out of
our
database.  Now, before everyone starts telling me to use an actual MLM for
this, let me explain what I need to do.

    I need to send a unique ID with each message, in the form of a URL.  We
want to make unsubscribing as easy as possible for our clients, so what I
plan
on doing is sending out a URL in the body of the message that contains a
unique
ID.  When they click on that URL, it hits another script on our website
which
than takes that ID, searches for it in the database and flags that record
(and
returns a 'Thank you' page.)

    So, somehow, I need to generate a unique ID for each message send, stick
that ID into the database with the corresponding email address that it was
just
sent to and then....wait.

    What's the best way to approach this? Should I generate IDs outside of
the
script, and then query the database for both the email and the ID and
construct
the message that way?  Or should I dynamically generate an ID during the
mailing process and shove it in the DB as the message goes out?

    Suggestions, criticism, comments...welcome.

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
  Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   .   303.442.6410 x130