php-general Digest 23 Mar 2002 12:11:05 -0000 Issue 1243

Topics (messages 89765 through 89830):

Re: FAQ
        89765 by: J. Scott Johnson
        89809 by: Demitrious S. Kelly

Drawing graphs - opinions
        89766 by: Lee P Reilly
        89768 by: Lee P Reilly
        89814 by: michael kimsal

Re: Database Development Price Inquiry?
        89767 by: [-^-!-%-

Re: A Language Script?
        89769 by: Demitrious S. Kelly

Re: Maillist
        89770 by: Ashley M. Kirchner

Variable problem
        89771 by: Leif K-Brooks
        89772 by: Rick Emery
        89774 by: Rick Emery
        89779 by: Chris

MySQL query results
        89773 by: Ashley M. Kirchner
        89775 by: Rick Emery
        89777 by: Ashley M. Kirchner
        89782 by: Ashley M. Kirchner
        89783 by: Chris
        89785 by: Rasmus Lerdorf
        89786 by: Chris
        89787 by: Ashley M. Kirchner
        89788 by: Ashley M. Kirchner
        89789 by: Ashley M. Kirchner
        89792 by: Rasmus Lerdorf
        89800 by: Ashley M. Kirchner
        89806 by: Justin French
        89807 by: Ashley M. Kirchner

Re: included files not reread by php when i edit the files
        89776 by: Chris

Double quotes in form fields and submitting them
        89778 by: webapprentice

ttf broken?
        89780 by: Michael A. Peters
        89784 by: Michael A. Peters

Create Email POP accounts with PHP
        89781 by: Julian
        89791 by: Dan Harrelson
        89793 by: ....::: rObEr2 :::....

Does anybody use UltraDev?
        89790 by: ....::: rObEr2 :::....
        89794 by: Dan Harrelson

Re: Perl NewsGroup?
        89795 by: David Duong
        89818 by: Don Read

Re: what is the difference between function and language  construct?
        89796 by: David Duong

What is the PHP version of Grep?
        89797 by: David Duong
        89798 by: Demitrious S. Kelly

Re: PHP/mySQL hosting
        89799 by: bvr

URL information into a variable
        89801 by: Phil Schwarzmann
        89804 by: Justin French
        89805 by: J. Scott Johnson

question - display rows
        89802 by: Phil Schwarzmann
        89803 by: Justin French

[newman] Whats wrong with this MySql Statement?
        89808 by: Philip J. Newman
        89820 by: Julio Nobrega

session problem?
        89810 by: bob

what's wrong with IE?
        89811 by: Alexander Javier

Advice needed
        89812 by: James Newkid
        89813 by: michael kimsal
        89817 by: Daniel Tryba

Retreiving website contents
        89815 by: Liam
        89826 by: Jason Wong

this mailing list
        89816 by: Liam

Configure PHP during RPM install
        89819 by: David McInnis

Re: Tool to remove comments??
        89821 by: Julio Nobrega
        89822 by: Michael A. Peters
        89829 by: heinisch.creaction.de

Stripslashes & addslashes question ...
        89823 by: John Kelly

assert in php.ini setting.
        89824 by: S.Murali Krishna

Crypt Limitation?
        89825 by: Steven Walker
        89827 by: Rasmus Lerdorf

Re: Jazz problem
        89828 by: Jason Wong

php does not understand ->
        89830 by: Andy

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

New poster, no need to flame unnecessarily...

Following up on James' original posting, I took 2000 or so message headers
from the archive and extracted (Perl, sorry) keywords for about 50% of the
postings.  This gave the following metrics on problems:

13       table
65      apache
70      array
17      authentication
19      browser
13      cgi
39      cookie
35      database
9       dates
2       debug
9       editor
7       eval
6       fields
140     file
25      include
33      install
9       ip address
14      javascript
4       jpg
15      ldap
12      login
91      mail
146     mysql
11      oracle
20      pdf
2       PostgreSQL
15      Regex
7       rpm
8       security
93      session
11      socket
50      upload
29      variables
14      while
7       win32
37      xml
10      xsl

It seems like the hotspots are:

Database / Mysql
File handling
Apache
Arrays
XML

When James and I talked off list, he recommended:

>>You're probably also going to be dealing with global built in vars,
$_SESSION, $_POST, $_GET and older vars quite a bit as well.

I'm willing to grovel through old messages and write this up.  If anyone has
any other common topics that I'm not finding, please email them to me.  When
its done, and useful, we can see about getting it auto posted (which is a
_good_ idea).

Thanks
Scott

J. Scott Johnson