On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 07:19:44PM +0200, Dave Raven wrote:
:
:     I need to reboot a FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE
:     computer using php + apache. I have a
:     small wrapper which runs the reboot
:     command as root, but it freezes half way
:     through and the box hangs.
:
:     I'm thinking that the reboot process is
:     killing apache, and in effect killing itself.
:     How might I get around this?

How about launching a shell script that reboots the server as its own
process?  For example, make a script at /etc/shutdown containing this:

        #!/bin/sh
        /sbin/reboot

then in your PHP script do something like:

        <?php
        exec('/usr/bin/nohup /etc/shutdown 1>/dev/null/ 2>&1 &');
        ?>

--
Eugene Lee
[EMAIL PROTECTED]