session_name will retur the previos name of the session, so in your case
$stuff will contain "PHPSESSID"
and i think you have to call session_start(); before you do
$HTTP_SESSION_VARS["username"] = $username;

so perhaps this will work:

session_name("hasLoggedIn");
$stuff = session_name();
session_start();
$HTTP_SESSION_VARS["username"] = $username;

Regards, Michael