I am writing a function that performs some actions.  I would like to
return true if the actions succeed, or return an error message if the
actions fail.  How should I go about it?  The following code doesn't do
it, because the returned error message is interpreted as a boolean
"true" (I think that's what's happening):

if (custom_function() == true) {
        print "Custom Function succeeded!";
} else {
        print custom_function();
}

I would actually rather just have the error message generated by the
script that calls the function, but the function performs some logic
that determines what kind of error message to give.  I was thinking of
having the function return "1" if succeeds, "2" if error code A, or "3"
if error code B, and then a switch statement could decide what to do in
the calling script -- but does this sound sloppy?

Erik

----

Erik Price
Web Developer Temp