Hamish,

A quick read through the date functions in the manual is worthwhile
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.datetime.php

In particular, you need to look at strtotime() and date().

strtotime() is an often overlooked function, useful for getting almost any
english written date into a unix timestamp, then use date() to get it into
the format you wish.

Note, I removed the commas from the $date string, because I'm pretty sure it
will break the strtotime() function.

<?

$date = "April 11, 2002, 1:53 pm";

// one step at a time
$date = str_replace(",","",$date);
$date = strtotime($date);
$date = date('Y-m-d', $date);

// or, in one line, if that's your thing
$date = date('Y-m-d', strtotime(str_replace(",","",$date)));

?>

Alternatively, you could have split the date on commas, and mucked around
with each element, but the above, IMHO, is the best way to go.

Regards,

Justin French
Creative Director
http://Indent.com.au