I'm developing a website that has the unlucky situation of being situated on
a host that does not have CURL installed on it.

This is basically what I'm trying to do:

 $ch = curl_init(); /// initialize a cURL session
 curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_URL,"https://www.ups.com/ups.app/xml/Rate";); ///
set the post-to url (do not include the ?query+string here!)
 curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, 0); /// Header control
 curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);  /// tell it to make a POST, not a GET
 curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, "$y");  /// put the query string here
starting with "?"
 curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1); /// This allows the output to
be set into a variable $xyz
 $xyz = curl_exec ($ch); /// execute the curl session and return the output
to a variable $xyz
 curl_close ($ch); /// close the curl session

Basically what this will do is send an XML file to UPS, to get shipping
rates which are returned as an XML file from UPS. The script has to sit and
wait for an answer from the UPS servers.
Does anybody know of a way of doing this without using CURL?

Jason Cathcart