I'd do something similar to this, along with
putting all states in an array to make sure
$state is actually a state (in_array).  And
maybe you want to add guam :)

a) be sure $state is set, else load default
b) be sure $state is not bogus, else yell at them
c) be sure the $state file exists, if so, include
   it else houston we have a problem

Regards,
Philip Olson