Sorry don't think I've explained this very clearly ! :-))

Start again ....

People can enter a url with code in, this gets copied to a different server
and read as an array !
At this point, the original server path needs to be added to the links in
the copied file.
The basics of this do actually already work - I just need the regex
expression to find any files
with "name.gif" (only allowing letters,numbers and _)
and to find files "/pics/name.gif" - that is same rule but starting with a
forward slash

And at that point they all get replaced with the server path and written to
the file !