At 30.04.2002  00:01, you wrote:

>>Just a hunch: do you get the same permissions output for the dotfiles as
>>the normal ones?
>
>Thanks for the idea. I am not sure what you mean by "permissions output"
>but it is same owner and an "ls -la" gives
>
>-rwxr-xr-x   1 frank  wheel   27 Apr 29 23:05 .mydotfile.php
>-rwxr-xr-x   1 frank  wheel    0 Apr 29 23:08 myfile.php
>
>- - -
>
>I BTW forgot to tell that I am on PHP 4.1.1
>
>BTW - if I introduce syntax errors in .mydotfile they are ignored - it is
>like PHP does not read the content at all. But take away the leading dot
>and it is all as expected.
<snip>
You know that "dot" files are hidden files ? I´m not shure, but I think
they cannot be read by other users
then these, where the user id is smaller then 500. If you want to use them,
try to fread() them.
If you try to hide a file for listing, set the approbiate filetype in the
httpd.conf.
So just rename this to mydotfile.secret and avoid listing via:

<Files ~ "*.secret">
     Order allow,deny
     Deny from all
</Files>

then add this type to allow php to parse them
AddType application/x-httpd-php .secret

and include them as normal >include"mydotfile.secret"<

HTH Oliver