Re question 2:

You can set this using the php_value command in apache.  I think you need to
have the SAPI version configured for this to work though.  You might want to
check that out.  I have only done this on XP, haven't tried it on linux yet.

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    DocumentRoot "D:\web\wilson\www"
    ServerName blah.blah.com
    ErrorLog "D:\web\blah\logs\error.log"
    CustomLog "D:\web\blah\logs\access.log" common
    php_value include_path "D:\web\blah\includes"
</VirtualHost>

So your www directory would exist within D:\web\blah\www, keeping your
includes safe.  In your php.ini you can leave your includes line blank.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Ian Newlands