> if you have the globals setting in your ini file set to "on"
> then you can use: $HTTP_REFERER otherwise, I think, it's found
> in $_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"] - just check for something like
> that in phpinfo();

Just to be picky, predefined reserved server variables will
always exist in both $HTTP_SERVER_VARS and $_SERVER.  So,
everyone could go through one of these predefined variables
regardless of the register_globals value.

Of course HTTP_REFERER may or may not exist.  And $_SERVER
became available in PHP 4.1.0.  $HTTP_SERVER_VARS has been
around since the 90's :)

A related faqt on HTTP_REFERER in PHP can be seen here:

  Why does $HTTP_REFERER return an empty string?
  http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/31

So regarding the question, do something like so
in script.php

  print $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];
  print $HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_REFERER'];

Personally I love registering server vars in the
scope and many times will do this (on top of the
script):

  if (!ini_get('register_globals')) {
      extract($HTTP_SERVER_VARS);
  }

In this case, it's safe to use $HTTP_REFERER even if
register_globals = off as it will then be created.

See also:
  http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.predefined.php

Regards,
Philip Olson