On Sun, 12 May 2002, Steven Jarvis wrote:
> I want to do the following:
>
> Big chunk of text is stored in variable $a. Paragraph breaks are
> signalled by two line breaks.

How big is big? 100 lines? 10,000 lines? 1,000,000 lines?

> I want to just extract the first paragraph (i.e., all the text up to the
> first set of two line breaks) from $a.
>
> How would I do this?
>
> I tried exploding $a into an array, then doing a while loop inside a for
> loop, but it was taking WAY too long to execute (it was timing out).
>
> Is there an easy way to do this that I'm just overlooking?

The easiest would be

  $first_graf = substr($big_text, 0, strpos($big_text, "\n\n"));

The manual is your friend. There's a function for almost anything. While
you are eating your corn flakes in the morning you should be reading
through them and filing them away in your brain.

miguel