> When you select an item to look at, there is a section named:
>
> Customers who bought this item also bought:
>
> blah link one - blah description
> blah link two - blah description
>
> How is this done? Is there a reference to a new db which has the links and
> references them from there or do they look into sessions or cookies?

It seems pretty straight-forward;

Each customizer has an account; when you go
to buy something you have to sign in.

When you buy something, a record is kept,
'this user' bought 'this item'.

To get the referrals, we search for all users
who bought the current item, then search for
all items bought by those users (except the
current item).

Summary so far:

Table: user
    userID, name, username, password, cc#, etc

Table: items
    itemID, name, description, price, etc

Table: purchases
    userID, itemID, date

First search:

SELECT DISTINCT userID FROM purchases
    WHERE itemID=$currentItemId;

... turn all returned userIDs into a comma-delimited list...

Second search:

SELECT itemID, COUNT(itemID) AS num FROM purchases
    WHERE userID IN ( $userList ) AND itemID != $currentItemId
    GROUP BY itemID ORDER BY num DESC LIMIT 5

... returns the 5 most popular also-bought items.

A database supporting sub-searches would make
this very simple, but I think a good coder could
turn this into a single query even in MySQL through
clever use of joins.