Thanks Miguel,

Actually, I figured out how to do it: a combination of  checking:

if ( $_REQUEST['pix']['type'] == "image/jpeg")}  blah, blah, blah

and then using 'fread' on the actual file itself, applying my 'eregi'
verification code. It works!

The problem before was that I was attempting to read the array, rather than
the actuial file. Thanks for the link.

Btw, I still confused about how to organize my /var/www/html directory so
that I can still access it for code, but others will not be able to say
access /var/www/html/tmp_for_checking_files_like_jpegs. I've made a temporary
change (for protyping) to php.ini using /var/www/html as the upload_temp_dir,
but I don't know how or where it should go in production. Any suggestions?

Tia, Andre

--
Please pray the Holy Rosary to end the holocaust of abortion.
Remember in your prayers the Holy Souls in Purgatory.

May God bless you abundantly in His love!
For a free Cenacle Scriptural Rosary Booklet: http://www.webhart.net/csrb/