David Orn Johannsson wrote:
> I'm having a problem with StrToLower function in php
>
> I'm trying to convert characters like Þ  and acute letters from
> uppercase to lowercase, but it dosen't work.
>
> this is what the manual says: "Note that 'alphabetic' is determined by
> the current locale. This means that in i.e. the default "C" locale,
> characters such as umlaut-A (Ä) will not be converted."
> dose this mean that it dosen't  return acute and other letters like that
> or is it a matter of configuration on the server?

Well, here is the actual loop which does the lowering for you:

         for (i=0; i<len; i++) {
                 ch = tolower((unsigned char)*c);
                 *c++ = ch;
         }
         return (s);

It is using the std c-function tolower()

man tolower tells me

NAME
        toupper, tolower - convert letter to upper or lower case

RETURN VALUE
    The value returned is that of the converted letter, or c if
    the conversion was  not  possible.

So I take it all weird characters are just left alone and returned to
you, as is.