Hi. I'm fairly new to PHP and programming in general.  I'm learning mostly
by deconstructing what others have written...but even though I have plenty
of PHP books and have searched the Internet high and low, I'm stumped by the
exact meaning in the following function of what the question mark's ("?")
and colon's (":"), mean and do?

BTW, I'm not looking for an explanation of the function; just what the
question mark's and colon's mean in plain english, so I'll know how to use
them in other places.  Thanks!

Jeff

function GetSQLValueString($theValue, $theType)
{
  $theValue = (!get_magic_quotes_gpc()) ? addslashes($theValue) : $theValue;

  switch ($theType) {
    case "text":
      $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? "'" . $theValue . "'" : "NULL";
      break;
    case "int":
      $theValue = ($theValue != "") ? intval($theValue) : "NULL";
      break;
  }
  return $theValue;