On Tue, 21 May 2002, Jimmy Lantz wrote:

> Hi,
> started playing with Mcrypt and just wanted to ask which encryption method
> makes the stronger encryption?
> (I can supply the necesary keylength).
> Should I go for MCRYPT_BLOWFISH or MCRYPT_TWOFISH? Or no fish at all :)
>
> So what do I need it for? I'm going to use it encrypting files, sizes
> varies between some 100 k's and 4-5 mb's.
> / Jim
>
> Paranoia + A system w/o users = Safe system :)

I'd suggest you went for neither. Rijndael is the AES
(http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/aes/) block cypher of choice. You can take it all the
way up to 256 and its a standard. Of course that can mean one of two things: it was
approved either because it can be broken, or because it is infact good. How paranoid
are you 8-)
I don't know though how fast it is.
More online at http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~rijmen/rijndael/

cheers,