On Wed, 22 May 2002, Jimmy Lantz wrote:

> Thanx for the suggestions!
> Someone mentioned that I could use MD5 and then encrypt the hash,
> how would I ever decrypt that? Is'nt MD5 a 1-way thing only?
>
> Another question?
> Should I go for bigger keylength or bigger blocksize or both? What makes
> for the best encryption?

Does it really make a difference? I'm not exactly crypto-literate, but the idea is to
encrypt the thing so that it's not visible by Foo Bar even if he does break into your
system. If someone is competent enough to break Mcrypt's 128/256bit cyphers, then it
doesn't really matter if you use the "weak" or the "strong" ones. I've used 256bit
Rijndael in CBC mode, but I wouldn't feel more/less safe if it was CFB or if it was
3DES.

Just my 2c.

--thalis