The only way I know how to do it is by doing boolean OR's...  It's not
as compact and efficient as you'd like, but it works.

SELECT          *
FROM            gallery
LEFT JOIN       designers ON (designers.designersID=gallery.designersID)
WHERE           (gallery.column1 LIKE '%$search_string%'
        OR      gallery.column2 LIKE '%$search_string%')
ORDER BY        gallery.galleryID";

Wilbert Enserink wrote:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I know this is rather OT, but I searched the mySQL manual all
over...couldn't find it.
 > I want to perform a search in a table. More then 1 columns should be
searched. namely column1 and column2 and so on.
 > Anybody knows what goes wrong here? --(in the WHERE clause). It seems
that mySQL doesn't like to perform a search in more then 1 column.:-(