Depends what kind of efficiency you are looking for, and
the type of application you're writing.

Personally, i've always taken the view that my time is
worth a lot more than the CPU's time (unless i'm writing
a speed-critical app, which is not very often :), so i
code for human efficiency and ease of maintenence, even
if the code is a little bit slower than heavily optimized
code.

---
Scott Hurring
Systems Programmer