As stated elsewhere, this is somewhat similar to what you need.
(btw, NOT tested for syntax errors)

<?
// $searchquery = their incoming request
// $finishedquery = an already stored request
// I use this style (inserting pointers to the searched records into a
table for temporary use.  It's a halfassed form of caching)
//

if ( empty($finishedquery) ) {
    echo("Searching...");
    dosearch($searchquery);

echo("<script>document.location='$PHP_SELF?finishedquery=$searchquery;</script>");
} else {
    showsearch($finishedquery);
}
?>