Kris,

If I understand what you mean correctly, this is just an ordinary anchor
(nothing to do with php). For example,
When clicked, if ".xls" is in /etc/mime.types as
"application/vnd.ms-excel    .xls" then it will either download or start
up the Excel application, depending upon the setting of the user's
browser. If not in /etc/mime.types, it will probably try to display the
file in the browser, depending upon the setting of DefaultType in
httpd.conf.

Hope this helps.

Chris