From: Roberts, Mark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 12. kesäkuuta 2002 16:20
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP] Else/For loop

Being relatively new to php, I discovered the following after about 2
hours of debugging last night and was wondering why???

I had the following code:

if ( $num_results = 0 )
{
        echo "no records found";
}
else
{
        for ($i=0; $i < $num_results; $i++)
        {
                display record set

As a result, the for loop never executed, no matter how many records
were returned in the record set. I placed echo statements though out to
determine why the for loop was not being executed. I put an echo
statement just before the for to make sure the else condition was being
met.

Finally, I just copy/pasted (literally) the for loop to just before the
'if' statement. Much to my surprise...the for loop now works perfectly.
(Except, of course, if there are no records returned).

The duduction...for loops will not work inside else statements. The
question...why?

I think I can work around this with some different coding, but why
should I have to? I have done this same thing in java, perl and other
languages...

Mark Roberts
Sr. Systems Analyst
LanApps/Web Development
The Williams Information Services Corporation
918-573-1706
[EMAIL PROTECTED]