See these PHP directives:

  Directive:            Default:
  ------------------------------
  magic_quotes_gpc      on
  magic_quotes_sybase   off

If both are enabled, PHP will do what you want.
magic_quotes_gpc is the PHP directive that essentially
runs addslashes() on all your GetPostCookie data
automatically, which is what you're experiencing.  This
cannot be set at runtime with ini_set().

magic_quotes_sybase is a little different, if on then
both magic_quotes_gpc and addslashes will escape as
'' not \'.  magic_quotes_sybase can be set at runtime
with ini_set() which will affect your use of addslashes().

Regards,
Philip Olson