When users have to enter dates on my forms, I always provide them with three
drop-down menus, for day (1-31), Month (1-12) and year (usually current
year, the next and the next, depending on the application).

Then I have three values on the next page ($_POST['day'], $_POST['month'],
$_POST['year']) which I can combine into a date format I like, or even into
a Unix timestamp.

With the addition of JavaScript, I COULD make sure that months with less
than 31 days could not have "non existent" days selected, but I prefer to do
all my validation server-side and spit the form back to them with their
current values.

I can't see the need for a pop-up, GUI callendar, or anything else.

Just let them select a start and end date via 6 drop-down menus, make sure
the date is correct, make sure the end date is after the start date, format
them however you want as strings, then insert them into your DB.

Easy.

Justin French