I've done this stuff recently. I need to pass whole arrays betn. php and
Javascript (2-way), here is some code:

// PHP var. to JS
function arrFromStr (str2convert) {  // make an array from string
   arr = new Array();
   var posOfQt1   = str2convert.indexOf('\"');
   var posOfQt2   = str2convert.indexOf('\"', posOfQt1+1);
   i = 0;
   while(posOfQt1 != -1) {
      arr[i] = str2convert.substring(posOfQt1+1, posOfQt2);
      i++;
      posOfQt1 = posOfQt2;
      posOfQt1   = str2convert.indexOf('\"', posOfQt1+1);
      posOfQt2   = str2convert.indexOf('\"', posOfQt1+1);
   }
   return arr;
}
Call this function like this:
layerDesStr  = '<?=serialize($layerDes[0])?>';
layerDes[0]  = arrFromStr(layerDesStr);

In case you have a variable don't serialize, just do
myJSvar = <?=$myPHPvar?>;
JS variables can be sent to PHP by including them in html forms, nothing
special about it.
> Hello, Folks,
>
> My apologies if this has been asked a thousand times. I've just joined the
> list.
>
> I can't find any information on passing JavaScript variables to PHP on the
> same page (i.e. not through the POST information of a submitted form). Is
> this because it's not possible?
>
> To take the load off the server, I'm trying to do a bunch of string
> manipulations and loops in JavaScript and then hand that info off to PHP
> once it's done.
>
> Any insight is appreciated! Thanks,
> Jed

-Pushkar S. Pradhan