In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> , [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William S.)
wrote:

>Is there a mailing list just dedicated to gdlib
>or any places that show a gallery with examples?
>I would be interested in seeing examples
>of images that are complex/artistic and beyond
>simple rectangles and boxes.

It's a work in progress, but you may find these images of interest:

http://chatmusic.com/maplocater.htm

Those ugly red circles (I am not a Designer) and the longitude/latitude
lines are coming from a database of ~2000 music venues for touring musicians
to utilize (http://chatmusic.com/venues.htm).

Only the World -> US "demo path" is working at this time.  Pages after that
are "in development"  Knock yourself out uploading more detailed maps, if
that is working at the time you play, but no promise I'll keep them...

Anyway, in spite of the paucity of maps, there is some non-trivial data
being overlaid onto the underlying regional images, and the
longitude/latitude and "red dot" data is all being computed on-the-fly.

The original images are:

http://chatmusic.com/visual/maps/worldmap.jpg
http://chatmusic.com/visual/maps/continentalus.jpg

The red dots, the long/lat lines, and the AREA tags are all being generated
from PostgreSQL data.

PostgreSQL lets me do some of the AREA tag computations of intersection and
other fun "region" calculations in SQL :-)

I still need to hook in the Radio stations
(http://chatmusic.com/broadcast.htm) with blue dots, and music store
retailers (green dots, of course) and ...  Well, let's just say I've got a
lot of work to do. :-)

Eventually (in glacial time, at the moment) I'm hoping to have a large-scale
OpenContent model of geographic data and data-servers in a distributed
application powered by PHP...

Then anybody on the planet could have complete access to
geographic/zip/street/location data for free.  More importantly,
contributors could upload maps of the area[s] that interest them for a truly
OpenContent distributed paradigm.

Source code is too chaotic to be made public at this time.  Will post
when/if that changes.

Anybody interested in funding this effort is most welcome to email me :-)

NOTE:
Yes, the long/lat are horribly inaccurate as you approach the poles on that
first map.  No, I don't care because:
A) I can swap in a different map that is not logarithmic and change a few db
records when I have time.
B) The whole point is to "zoom in" to more detailed/accurate maps (down to
neighborhood level)
C) The click-able regions are defined independent of the long/lat lines.
D) There just aren't a hell of a lot of music venues at the North/South
pole. :-)

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm