Chris Hewitt wrote:
> I was going to ask you whether a normal user on your computer could send
> mail (OK, root counts). As the answer is no, it is not a problem with
> your php setup.
>
> sympatico.ca has several MX entries, the first of which is
> smtp26.bellglobal.com and I can ping that from here. I also get a
> response by telnetting to port 25. I conclude that I could send email to
> that address (whether the user would be accepted I don't know).
>
> As you presently cannot from your computer, I guess its an Exim
> configuration issue (which I know nothing about), but have you
> configured it up for your computer, domain etc.?

Ok, perhaps I should explain the server set up a bit more...
This will end up being off topic for PHP I think but perhaps
there is someone who may be able to help me (I will also post
this information on the Exim mailing list I just discovered).

sympatico.ca is a large internet provider which I have an
ADSL connection through. Any sympatico.ca servers don't belong
to me but to the provider.

Off this ADSL connection is a BSD box which does my firewalling,
etc. Behind that box is the web server which is called
www.cell.dhs.org (cell.dhs.org being my domain). On this
server is a Debian Linux box which runs Apache with PHP,
the Exim mail server, etc.

So, any idea what I could be missing from my configuration
that would let me ping addresses nslookup them but not
send mail to them?

Any other questions/information needed?

thx for the help!