I think you can make the AddType location specific

ie:
in /home/httpd/html/cgi-bin all files ending in .php will be cgi php
everywhere else /home/httpd/html/ will be php module

the line at the top tells the parser which program should execute the
code in the file ... so I think you don't add the AddType in apache and
maybe something different?