On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Anas Mughal wrote:
> I have a general question about referencing...
>
> Would it be safe to reference a function return value?

Sure, unless the function returned a reference itself, in which case you
have to continue keeping track of the validity of that reference (i.e., if
its object gets unset(), I'm pretty sure it becomes invalid).

If a function returns a scalar or array, it's recreated in the caller's
context and will remain there until you explicitly get rid of it. It's not
like C where strings are pointers whose contents can disappear out from
under you at any moment.

miguel