I agree with the other reply to your question.
My thoughts could be summarized as follows:

- Java solution would be more expensive and involved
to build and maintain.
- PHP would be cheaper and quicker to build and
maintain.

- Java would require more resources on your server.
- PHP is light weight and fast.

- Java is a mature OO language. So, if designed
properly, would be easier to modify and/or extend
functionality.
- In my opinion, PHP is not a mature OO language. It
might get there sometime in the future. However, PHP
is very well suited for the goals it was designed for.

My choice would be Java.
(Keep in mind that it will be easier to sell Java to
the corporate guys. Some executives shy away from open
source.)

Good luck!!!