Yes, though I'd probably add parentheses to make it clearer.

select * from table where ((start_shot <= $current_shot) and (end_shot >=
$current_shot))

Though that's probably not necessary. Make certain you have your less
than's and greater thans set the right way, I've often sat slack-mouthed
wondering why I had no data, simply because I was using "<" when it should
have been ">".

Cheers - Miles Thompson