> Which method is the best way to store date/time in MySQL and
 > then which PHP
 > command is the best to use to convert that date to something
 > useful?

Get comfortable with MySQL's date functionality and you'll find that you
don't often need to do the date comparisons and manipulation in php at
all.

MySQL lets you store date/time stuff as date, time or timestamp formats
(off-hand, haven't referred to the manual here) that will store the data
for you.  You can manipulate this date information in your sql query
using things like DATE_FORMAT() and the like.  Check the MySQL manual
for all of those (chapter 6 or 7 I think it is).

If you're mostly doing data extraction based on date criteria then
you'll find it works best as sql queries basically.

CYA, Dave