On 15 Jul 2002 at 14:55, Andy wrote:

> I just found a site where they have integrated a usenet forum into
> their own forum. I am wondering how this is technicaly done? The
> postings seem to be pretty up to date ( I did compare them with the
> usenet ones) Here is the link:

> Has anybody an idea how they do this. I think the forum software is
> phpbb. But they do not provide such a function as far as I know. All
> the data inside phpbb comes out of a db usually. How is this done with
> copyrights anyway?

Think about the datamodel for a usenet post. Each has a unique id and from there you
are good to go.

http://www.workbrazil.com/admin/kb.php

That's a copy of a site I'm working on. I happen to use a Perl script that is run by
cron and connects to a few newsgroups and uses filters to
select messages (essentially email) and store them in a mysql table. That script could
easily be written in PHP I guess.  So you get the
message and you re-arrange to fit the datamodel of your database and insert it.

About the copyrights. I looked into this a bit and I'm not lawyer but I found nothing
that said what I was doing would be wrong. I certainly reject
any copyrighted material which is often posted but all that guy seems to be doing is
to be reposting. In my case I'm actually culling  data to
repurpose and if I use chunks of posts from someone I give them credit.

Here is the table I use to store data. I did this quickly and need to pare this down
to the essentials.

CREATE TABLE news (
  Content_Disposition varchar(20) default NULL,
  Content_Transfer_Encoding varchar(20) default NULL,
  Content_Type varchar(50) default NULL,
  Reply_To varchar(50) default NULL,
  Subject varchar(100) default NULL,
  X_Accept_Language varchar(20) default NULL,
  X_Admin varchar(20) default NULL,
  X_Complaints_To varchar(20) default NULL,
  X_MSMail_Priority varchar(20) default NULL,
  X_Mailer varchar(20) default NULL,
  X_MimeOLE varchar(20) default NULL,
  X_Newsreader varchar(20) default NULL,
  X_No_Archive varchar(20) default NULL,
  X_Priority varchar(20) default NULL,
  X_Received_Date varchar(20) default NULL,
  X_Server_Date varchar(20) default NULL,
  X_Trace varchar(20) default NULL,
  X_UserInfo1 varchar(20) default NULL,
  Xref varchar(20) default NULL,
  MIME_Version varchar(20) default NULL,
  Message_ID varchar(20) NOT NULL default '',
  NNTP_Posting_Date varchar(20) default NULL,
  NNTP_Posting_Host varchar(20) default NULL,
  XFrom varchar(200) default NULL,
  Born varchar(20) default NULL,
  Distribution varchar(20) default NULL,
  XLines varchar(20) default NULL,