Ok your way works and thanks for the help but still struggling a little bit
here is what I have.

$year = date (Y);          //This gets me the current year 2002
$month = date (m);       //This gets me the current month 07
$day= 1;                      //always looking for the 1st day of the month
$string = "$year $month $day";
$today = date("w",strtotime($string));
echo $today;

My result is: 3

What am I doing wrong should this work????

Thanks for the help
attila
http://www.glorynaspiration.com

"Richard Baskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> $today = date("w"); // $today will result in '1'
> $today = date("D"); // $today will result in 'Mon'
> $today = date("l"); // $today will result in 'Monday'
>
> Now if you wanted to feed the script something like this:
>
> $string = "01 Jul 2002";
> $today = date("l",strtotime($string));
>
> This will result in the long textual day of '01 Jul 2002', so 'Monday' or
if
> you interchange the "l" in the first part of the date function with "w"
you
> will get the the day of the week, numeric, i.e. "0" (Sunday) to "6"
> (Saturday) or if you use "D" you will get the short textual day so 'Mon'
>
> I hope all of that makes sense to you.  Check out the php manual for the
> function date and strtotime.
>
> http://www.php.net/date
> http://www.php.net/strtotime
>
> Rick
>
> "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own
> understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And he shall direct your
> paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6
>

> > From: "Attila" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:44:39 -0600
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: [PHP] Date () Help please
> >
> > Hello all,
> >   I am very new to PHP and I have added some minor PHP to my website.  I
> > would like to make a PHP calander to keep track of things going on.
Could