$users=file('.users');
# puts users in the file into an array so we can
# check for valid or priv users with
if(in_array($HTTP_SERVER_VARS["REMOTE_USER"], $users)){}

# we add additional users to the .users file with the following
$users[]=$newuser;
# adds the new user to the end of the above created users array
# then write the array to the file
$fd = fopen (".users", "w+");
fwrite ($fd, join("\n",$users));
fclose ($fd);

the problem is after adding users, only the last user returns the user name in
the array, all the other users have an additional "/n" at the end of them, which
causes the check to barf.

I want to ensure that the .users file is in;

user1
user2
user3

...format, am I missing something in the reconstruction of the users file that
can eliminate the "\n" being placed into the array on the next file() call?

hope that made sense...  thank.

Dave