You *did* read the notice that came up at the end of your 'configure'
run, right?  (Specifically the part that said "*** NOTE ***  The default
for register_globals is now off.  If your application relies on
register_globals being ON, you should explicitly set it to on in your
php.ini file.  Note that you are strongly encouraged to read
http://www.php.net/manual/en/security.registerglobals.php about the
implications of having register_globals set to on, and avoid using it if
possible.")

For more info, see the above link, or the "External Variables" section
of the 4.2.1 release notes at http://www.php.net/release_4_2_1.php, or
the manual section on predefined variables at
http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.predefined.php

---
Mark Roedel           | "Blessed is he who has learned to laugh
Systems Programmer    |  at himself, for he shall never cease
LeTourneau University |  to be entertained."
Longview, Texas, USA  |                          -- John Powell